The biggest challenge when making online videos is keeping them interesting. How can we keep someone watching longer than a couple of seconds? If you’ve been following my video tips recently and have been inspired to make your own this weeks cool tool TubeRank is for you.
TubeRank selects videos that have been successful on YouTube and will inspire you. You simply add in some parameters, creating a formula, and it pulls up a selection of videos that match them. Watching lots of videos is often where you learn the best techniques for making your own videos work. This tool just means you are watching the right videos to match your own needs.
Here’s how it works:
- Choose the sort of ‘triggers’ that you would like to include in your video. Do you want it to be funny, topical, cute, educational etc?
- You can move the sliders up and down to include none, some or loads of trigger moments. I chose educational.
- Now choose interests. Does the video you want to make fit into a particular category. I went for Internet culture.
- The final metric is UGC (user generated content) or Branded. I went for ‘all’ here so as not to limit my choices.
- Now TubeRank searches popular videos and provides a selection to inspire you.
The top choice was spot on ‘The Impact of Twitter on Journalism‘ followed by a variety of on topic inspiration.
Underneath each video that TubeRank offers are some headline statistics including views, comments, social shares etc but the app also offers more. Click on ‘View Full Insight’ and you will be prompted to set up a ‘VAN’ account which gives you access to a TubeRank score for the formula you entered, viral benchmarking, tips, case studies and more.
Although this data is useful and has lots of downloads to help you create better videos I think the best thing about the site is finding inspiration. It’s also convinced me that it’s possible to add some of the other triggers, humor for example, in to my video and still be on message. I know I’ll be watching far more videos and hopefully creating better ones myself thanks to this tool.
Massive Hat Tip to Social Times for drawing my attention to this app.
If you enjoyed this blog post why not subscribe to my newsletter or my blog posts via email. Click here for more info.