This month at the KLCK bloggers network we’re going to be talking about WordPress plugins. Some of our favourite plugins including Askimet, a spam filter for your comments require you to have a WordPress API. If you have a WordPress.org blog (self hosted) this can be quite confusing so this week we are giving you a step by step guide on how to get one.
- Go to www.wordpress.com and sign up for an account (even if you already have a wordpress.org blog)
- Click ‘Sign up now’ on the right hand side of the page
- Fill in your details and tick the box ‘just a username’ at the bottom
- Click ‘Next’
- You will receive an email from WordPress including a link that will confirm your email address.
- Once you have done this log in.
- Click the ‘My Account on the top left hand side
- On your profile page click ‘API Key and other Personal Settings’
- On the next page WordPress will provide you with your API key.
Next week I will be showing you how to use this API key to add a profile picture to your WordPress.org blog and to activate the Askimet spam filter.