Once you have set up your Facebook page it can be hard to direct people to it. Facebook give you a very long url for your page containing lots of numbers and text, even if you could remember it passing it on to other people could be quite a task.
Here are two ways to create an easy web address for your Facebook page.
1. If you have 25 ‘Likes’ on your page
Once you have 25 Likes on your page Facebook allows you to set a personalised username
- Go to www.facebook.com/username
- Choose the page you want to give a username to from the dropdown menu
- Enter your desired username into the box, it doesn’t matter if you use caps or not but don’t leave any gaps. Make sure this is the url you are going to stay with as once it is set it cannot be changed.
- Click ‘check avilability’
- If the name is available click ‘confirm’
- Your username is now set and you can direct people to www.facebook.com/yourusernamehere
- For example the Spiderworking.com Facebook page is here: www.facebook.com/spiderworking
2. If you don’t yet have 25 ‘Likes’ on your page
You can set a temporary link for your Facebook page using a link shortening service such as Bit.ly. Sign up for an account so that you can use all the features.
- Go to your Facebook page, refresh the page as Facebook tends to adds other information into the url, this will disappear if you refresh.
- Copy the address from your address bar
- Go to your bit.ly account
- Paste the long link into the box ‘shorten your links and share from here’
- Click ‘Customize’
- Change the part of the link in red to something memorable.
The nice thing about creating a custom link through Bit.ly is that you can also measure how often it has been clicked.